To Heads of National Associations
Please find below an overview on most important issues ongoing and coming up from a Brussels/ASD communications perspective.
- Earlier this week, the NATO-Industry Forum took place in Stockholm. ASD Secretary General Jan Pie spoke on a panel on ESG and defence. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg underlined in his speech that “without industry there is no defence” (see NATO posts on LinkedIn and X). Transcript of his full speech available here, the recording here.
- Ongoing: ASD sponsorship of Politico’s new defence newsletter (through to Dec 1).
On Tuesday, visibility was further boosted when Politico recommended in its widely read “Brussels Playbook” newsletter (over 131k recipients daily) to subscribe for its “Morning Defense” newsletter, linking to the Politico defence website with ASD messaging and visuals.
- Yesterday, ASD announced that the 2024 S1000D & IPS User Forum will take place in September 2024 in Brussels (exact date tbc). See X and LinkedIn.
- On Wednesday, the European Parliament’s Industry Committee (ITRE) adopted its draft report on the Net Zero Industry Act. The European Parliament is expected to vote on the Net Zero Industry Act in plenary in November.
- On Tuesday, the Council approved a revised EU strategy and action plan on maritime security. With the update, the strategy and its action plan have also been aligned with recent EU policy frameworks and instruments, such as the Strategic Compass for Security and Defence.
- In the Comms Week Ahead two weeks ago, we mentioned that the European Commission is expected to present the European Defence Industry Strategy on 8 November. Commissioner Breton has confirmed in the meantime, that this has been delayed to early 2024.
Meanwhile, the US Department of Defense aims to publish its 1st National Defense Industrial Strategy by December.
- On Monday, the European Defence Agency (EDA) published a report titled “Enhancing EU Military Capabilities beyond 2040”, which includes an in-depth analysis on the impact of long-term global, capability and technology trends in defence.
- Today, the Regulation (EU) 2023/2418 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 October 2023 on establishing an instrument for the reinforcement of the European defence industry through common procurement (EDIRPA), was published in the EU Official Journal.
It enters into force on the day following its publication. You can find all linguistic versions here.
- New study by Daniel Fiott “EU defence after Versailles: An agenda for the future”, commissioned by the European Parliament’s Subcommittee on Security and Defence (SEDE).
Aerospace, Security and Defence
Industries Association of Europe
Rue du Trône 100 | 1050 Brussels
Phone: +32 2 775 81 24
Mobile +32 472 13 39 20