To Heads of National Associations
Please find below an overview on most important issues ongoing and coming up from a Brussels/ASD communications perspective.
- ASD Secretary General Jan Pie had several appointments in Ankara this week, among others as speaker at a conference organised by SASAD (Turkish Defence and Aerospace Manufacturers Association) and an interview with Defence Turkey Magazine.
- Ongoing: ASD sponsorship of Politico’s new defence newsletter ‘Morning Defense’ (until 1 December). Newsletter editions of this week available on the Politico website: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. No newsletter on Wednesday because of a bank holiday.
- 7-8 November: Sustainable Skies Conference: Contrails in Focus, organised by Eurocontrol in Brussels. ASD Civil Aviation Director Vincent de Vroey will speak on Day 2 at the panel on non-CO2 Monitoring, Reporting & Verification.
- 7-9 November: EU Space Week in Sevilla.
- 9-10 November: REACH in aviation – Clean Aviation workshop organised by Fraunhofer in Athens.
- Last Friday, the European Commission launched a comprehensive consultation process with stakeholders aiming to deliver a European Defence Industrial Strategy (expected in Q1/2024). The engagement process will run for the next three months. This will include written submissions and consultative workshops with stakeholders.
- Dutch authorities on Thursday confirmed they will cut the number of flights by 9,100 at Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport in a bid to reduce noise pollution. Analysts warn that some may be picked up by other airports which do not face such limitations, and this could include passengers making connections at non-European airports. Read more here.
- Politico reports about difficulties for the EU to keep its promise to support Ukraine with a million rounds of ammunition within a year as North Korea has already sent a million shells to North Korea.
- In a ‘vision paper’, the European Round Table for Industry (ERT) expressed concern that the EU is “lagging behind” the United States and China in terms of economic growth and innovation. The group of 60 leading industrial companies is calling for further integration of the EU’s single market, a capital markets union and better incentives for investment in Europe.
Aerospace, Security and Defence
Industries Association of Europe
Rue du Trône 100 | 1050 Brussels
Phone: +32 2 775 81 24
Mobile +32 472 13 39 20