To Heads of National Associations
Please find below an overview on most important issues ongoing and coming up from a Brussels/ASD communications perspective.
- 24-25 October: EU/ECAC/Spanish EU Presidency high level dialogue with the EU civil aviation sector in Valencia, titled “Flying sustainably — from buzz to reality”. ASD represented by ASD Civil Aviation Director Vincent De Vroey. In addition, A4E (Airlines for Europe) will make a presentation on Destination 2050 on behalf of the five D2050 partner associations (ASD, A4E, ERA, ACI-Europe and CANSO-Europe).
- 24-26 October: NATO-Industry Forum in Stockholm. ASD Secretary General Jan Pie will speak on a panel that explores ‘how actors in the financial, insurance, energy markets, and the defence sector, can take into account ESG considerations leading to more sustainable solutions’.
- 24-26 October: EASA Certification Conference 2023, on-site event in Cologne. The main EASA Certification Conference and a workshop on “SMS for Design and Production organisations” will be recorded and made available on EASA YouTube channel thereafter. ASD Airworthiness Manager Stuart Anderson and several ASD members will be present.
- 26 October: ASD Defence & Security Director Burkard Schmitt will speak on a panel on ‘European Defence Industry in light of the War in Ukraine – On the Way to a Stronger Cooperation in the Single Market?’ in Brussels (8h30-10h00), organised by the Konrad Adenauer Foundation and the German Industry Association. Karsten Lepper, Representative of the German Industry for Defence and Security to the EU, will moderate the panel discussion.
- 26 October: European Business Aviation Summit in Brussels.
- 26-27 October: European Council in Brussels, provisional agenda here.
- 27 October: Conference in Poznan “European Defence Industrial Policy Day – Closer cooperation of European defence industry as an opportunity for young engineers”. ASD Secretary General Jan Pie will speak on a panel on ‘European cooperation of defence industry in the times of war’.
- Ongoing: Politico’s new defence newsletter / ASD sponsorship. Launched on Oct 10. ASD messages incorporated in the newsletter (reflecting agreed ASD positions). ASD sponsorship ends Dec 1. Registration for free trial here. The daily newsletters are also retrievable for free on the Politico website.
- Earlier this week, the European Commission adopted the Work Programme foreseen the Regulation on supporting Ammunition Production (ASAP) for 2023-2025. Calls opened on 18 October, with a deadline for submission on 13 December 2023.
- The European Commission also presented, on Wednesday 18 October a package of communications and legislation covering both internal security and migration, among them an EU Roadmap of priority measures to fight organised crime and drug-trafficking and a communication on civil drones and how to protect the public against their misuse.
- The Council put an overview of think tank papers related to Russia’s war in Ukraine and its implications for Europe defence on its website.
Aerospace, Security and Defence
Industries Association of Europe
Rue du Trône 100 | 1050 Brussels
Phone: +32 2 775 81 24
Mobile +32 472 13 39 20